Tangled up in Adobe’s Acrobats.

One of my tasks today was to install the full version of Adobe Acrobat 9 on several computers at my office. After completing this task, I was then informed that I was supposed to have installed the standard version of Acrobat as opposed to the professional version which was installed. That meant I had to go back to the computers I worked on, uninstall the professional version and install the standard version to avoid a potentially violent licensing confrontation with Adobe.
The software removal-and-replace task went as well as could be expected until I reached the last computer. I had used Revo Uninstaller to make sure every last trace of Acrobat was removed before installing the proper version, so I felt confident there was nothing left behind. However, when I put in the serial key number needed to install Acrobat, the setup program told me that the number was invalid, even though I had put in this exact same number on the first two computers I had worked on.
I began to think that there was still something left behind from the professional version to throw the setup program off, so I decided to try cleaning the registry. I used Eusing’s Free Registry Cleaner, which found plenty of invalid registry entries, one of them relating to Acrobat. After these entries were removed, the setup program finally accepted the serial key number and proceeded to install Acrobat as usual.

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s