I just started reading yet another book on spicing up my writing. This one’s entitled Spunk & Bite: A Writer’s Guide To Punchier, More Engaging Language & Style. I’ve only read a few chapters and am already getting some seriously good advice, such as the need to learn new words to punch up my paragraphs. The book lists some web sites with free mailing lists that deliver a new word to your inbox each day. I list them here.
- Word Spy – A collection of newly coined words.
- Word Of The Day From Lexico Publishing – From the folks at reference.com.
- A.Word.A.Day – A hugely popular mailing list.
- Merriam-Webster’s Word of the Day – From the dictionary people themselves.
And here’s one I found myself.
- Word of the Day from Wordnik – The world’s biggest online English dictionary.
Not a bad way to start the book.