Tape backups failing due to device not being found.

At work we have 3 servers that run tape backups every night using Symantec’s Backup Exec for Windows Servers. Lately I noticed that the backups have been failing on one of the servers. Here’s what I saw in the job log.

Job name : Backup – Monday through Friday
Job type : Backup
Job status : Failed
Job log : D:\Symantec\Backup Exec\NT\Data\BEX_LRECDOPS-DS1_04552.xml
Server name : LRECDOPS-DS1
Selection list name : Backup – Monday through Friday
Device name : DELL 1
Target name : All Devices (LRECDOPS-DS1)
Media set name : Media Set 1
Error category : Resource Errors
Error : e000fe1f – The device cannot be found.
For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-65055

The error message about the device not being found seemed a little odd. I did some research on this problem and found out that the way to fix it was to right-click on the backup job and select “Edit Selection List”. The following window appears.


Just for the heck of it I checked “System State” on the selection list, which wasn’t selected previously. Even checking something on the list and then unchecking it should be enough to update the selection list. Once the list got updated, the backups ran with no further problems.